Saturday, October 20, 2012
that one little pill.....
So what do you do when you have a little ache or pain? Well my humans pop a little pill called Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen, pain killers commonly referred to as Advil or Tylenol.
That little pill eases the discomfort, makes them feel good again. So why not help us four-legged friends out, sometimes we have little aches and pains?
Because you may kill us if you do! True fact, these two medications are on the top ten list for the most common poisonings for your pet.
We often get a hold of the containers and chew and chew until we get to the inside and then we eat and eat.
What happens next isn't pretty. The drugs can destroy the lining of our stomachs as well as restrict blood flow to our kidneys and in turn destroy our kidneys. No kidney, no pet.
Sometimes you give us these medications because you think it is going to ease our pain. By doing this you are going to increase our pain. Pain medications are formulated especially for pets, humans for humans....
If you have given your pet these drugs you may begin to see vomiting of blood, high enough doses and seizures occur. The silent damage, failure of the kidneys is something that is not fixed.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned by these human pain medications, call your veterinarian immediately. Symptoms are sometimes days in developing and by then trying to fix the damage may be too late. If your pet has pain issues such as arthritis contact your veterinarian. They can prescribe medications to ease the pain that in turn will not harm your pet.
Tata for now!