Thursday, April 21, 2011

spring: porcupines, puppies and the easter bunny

Spring is finely here! The first true signs of the new season for SAVES is the arrival of patients covered in porcupine quills. Did you know a porcupine can have 30,000 quills. I think the dog that came in the other night had 29,000 quills in his mouth. The only place the porky lacks protection is on his belly. Wow I plan on keeping my distances. I heard once that they can throw their quills at enemies but I looked it up and that is an old  "wives tale". You actually have to touch them to get those quills stuck in you.

Spring brings babies.... lots and lots of babies. Baby birds, baby kittens, and baby puppies. Sadie stopped by SAVES the other day to meet her veterinarian! I gave her this little pink puppy, she loved it and wouldn't let it go for anything!
Soon we will be swimming and taking long walks.... I love warm weather. One thing I hate about when the weather turns nice out is all the bugs, especially fleas.

To all my cat friends out there, please tell your parents to watch out for some real common poisons that could kill you. The Pet Poison Helpline reported that in 2010 the most common emergency calls about cat poisoning were over the counter drugs such as Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, and chewable tablets like Rimadyl given to treat dog arthritis. One Tylenol tablet can kill a cat. Cats also seem to be attracted to antidepressants such as Effexor which has a coating that smells good to them.
Signs of poisoning can be vomiting, and increased thirst and urination. A swollen face is common with Tylenol ingestion as well as yellow gums, breathing difficulties and weakness. If you suspect poisoning call your veterinarian immediately. If you catch the poisoning before the signs begin to show your cat has an excellent chance of survival.
Happy Easter everyone! I can't wait to meet the Easter Bunny. I figured if I dressed up like him he wouldn't be afraid and would maybe stick around and chat with my awhile. Have a wonderful holiday and be safe!

Tata for now!

No comments: