Thursday, July 14, 2011

dog days of summer

 oh the dog days of summer..... lazy, sultry and still. Petunia and I like to lay around a lot.... she just keeps getting chubby and I'm bored. My sister always lays down with me. She grabs my feet while I try and sleep and announces to the world that my feet smell like Frito's. What the heck is a Frito and it must be good or she would stop snuffling my feet all the time!
If you stare up at the sky during a summer night (while biting at the mosquitoes) you can see two dog constellations, Canis Major and Canis Minor. The big dog (Canis Major) has a very bright star called Sirius, that rises and sets with the summer sun. Ancient Romans believed that this star helped to contribute to the very hot days in July when due to the rotation of the earth, Sirius appears next to the sun for the period of July 3 through August 11th, the "dog days". How connected the sun looks with Sirius really depends where you are viewing it on earth..... wild, I think I need a nap!  
tata for now

No comments: