Friday, February 24, 2012

the importance of exercise

Winter Walks
My dad does a lot of work with the Upper Valley Humane Society and a bunch of other rescue organizations. Wow, I had no idea how lucky I am to be apart of a family that loves me so much. I read in a dog magazine (it had a picture of a lab on the front so I couldn't resist looking), that the number one reason Labrador Retrievers end up at the humane society is because they have so much energy.
Love to steal my mom's mittens when we are out walking, oh she gets so mad
First we start out cute and little, then we start growing and growing and growing! Pretty soon we are large and FULL of energy. Without frequent exercise every day we become neurotic "nut cases" as my mom so affectionately refers to me. On those rare days we don't go for our long walks, watch out. I think my mom finds it  cute when I steal her mittens right out of her hand while we are out walking. She isn't quite as impressed on those "inside days" when I hide her socks, shoes, scarves, you get the idea.
For those of you who have had the honor of meeting me, see, I can sit and behave, sometimes!
Bottom line, get us out. A little exercise can go a long way. Long walks in the country, short walks in the city, and don't forget about the indoor dog park at SAVES on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. The schedule can be viewed at Stonecliff Animal Clinic of New Hampshire's website for times. Remember the last hour of each of these play days is reserved for small dogs. Get out a burn some of that energy off, don't sit around gathering moss.
Ta ta for now!!

No comments: