Friday, April 13, 2012

what's in a name

We all have one, most of us answer to one, does it represent us, mold and determine us......
Oliver means "olive tree"..... pronounced "AHL-ə-vər" (not "oh-liv-ea" sister). Some sources I found also stated that the name signifies courage and athleticism, something I pride myself in. 
Some of us get labeled with names that make you wonder what their parents were thinking. I could have been named "Kennedy" meaning ugly head, or what about "Brendan" which means stinking hair!


Tigers die and leave their skins; people die and leave their names.  ~Japanese Proverb






My name was made popular by Charles Dickens novel "Oliver Twist" about a young poor orphan living on the streets of London. My mom named me Oliver because she loves olives (especially black ones), she loves the way you can play with my name, the perfect rhymes and songs she can make. Some days I am Olivia, the next day I am liver...... what ever makes her happy. I don't get confused because they all sound about the same. If one day she called me Oliver and the next Sam I am not quite sure what I would do......


Names are an important part of a dog and cats life though. If you want us to know our name and respond when you say it then pick one that is short and sweet, something your not embarrassed to scream out in a public place. We like one or two syllable words, especially if they end with a long vowel.




Try not to confuse us with names like May which sounds like stay, or Chum that sounds like come. A name like Stacy is way to close to stay..... talk about straining my brain. When we are babies reward us with treats when we respond to our names. It could save our lives someday!


So the most popular dog names today are Max and Molly, followed by Jake and Bella. Remember, when trying to chose a name for your new pet pick one that isn't as common. The worst scenario is living in a neighborhood and all the dogs are named Max! Try finding your lost dog yelling Max, here Max..... can you picture it?
Tata for now  

No comments: