Friday, June 8, 2012

Xylitol poisoning

Xylitol Poisoning

Xylitol is an all natural sugar substitute made from birch tree bark, corn cobs, and beets. Hard to imagine not gnawing on that stuff!
Sweet like sugar but 40% less calories. No wonder the human population is gobbling up the stuff guilt-free.
Beware, a small amount of this ingredient in a dog can be deadly. Two or three sticks of gum can kill a 20lb. dog. According to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), if you bake with Xylitol powder, 1 cup has 190g of Xylitol. Use 1 cup of powder making 24 cupcakes, and 2 cupcakes could kill a 50lb. dog! yikes!
Within 30 minutes after consuming this ingredient a dogs blood sugar will dramatically drop. Vomiting, weakness and seizures as the sugar level continues to plummet. Liver failure and death are common outcomes unless immediate veterinary intervention occurs.
This is really scary stuff, especially since you humans never know what we are inhaling from one moment to the next! The world is my breakfast bowl... what can I say I'm a Labrador Retriever!
People, read your labels! Sure it might help you lose weight, but you will be a lonely skinny person without us!
A few products to avoid or use with caution:
Jello-sugar free puddings
Orbit gum
Ice Breakers
Tom's of Maine Toothpaste
Biotene Toothpaste
Spry products
Xylo Sweet
Tic Tacs

Xylitol is showing up in more and more products everyday, even children's vitamins. Because it has great bacteria killing properties it is popping up in dental products.
Please don't buy these products unless you have to. We can't read but we love to eat, and we love you.
Tata for now