Happy first day of Spring! Couldn't tell by looking outside.
This week is National Poison Prevention Awareness Week. At Small Animal Veterinary Emergency Services, we see a lot of pet poisoning every week. Trust me, it happens so easily. I can't tell the difference between a good mushroom and a bad one! My family loves chocolate... how come they can eat it and I can't! Come on, now I have to be careful with what types of sticks I chew on. You humans have your job cut out for you trying to keep us healthy.
So here are the most common poisons to keep away from us.
1. Prescription Human Medications: top three, heart medications, anti-depressants, and pain medications
2. Insecticides used in and around your house
3. Over-The-Counter-Medications: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen to name a few.
4. Veterinary Products: flavored tabs especially.
5. Household toxins: fire logs to cleaning products.
6. People food: garlic, onions, avocado, macadamia nuts to name a few. Don't forget Xylitol in candy.
7. Chocolate: baking being the most toxic (check out my chocolate toxicity calculator at the top of the page.)
8. Plants: inside and outside!
9. Rodenticides: don't forget about the newest Bromethalin.
10. Lawn and garden products: snail mouse and rat baits and fertilizer to name a few.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned please call your veterinarian immediately. Remember, always bring the container of the suspected poison to the hospital with you!
To find out more about poisons that could be harmful to your pet, check out the ASPCA site.
Tata for now.....