Wednesday, February 23, 2011

brush, brush, brush

I have come to the conclusion that humans are never satisfied with what they have. Last summer all I heard was "it's toooo hot", now all I hear is "it's tooooo cold". Give me a break, it is what it is people. The power of positive thinking is starting to drain my brain, stop complaining. Maybe we dogs would be a bunch of complainers if we could communicate better with all of you. Instinct tells us to suck it up and deal with it. We do that, day in and day out we deal with our suffering until we can't deal anymore and our people begin to notice something is wrong. This is both a saving grace (I would shoot myself if Petunia complained all day about her backache!) but also a death sentence. By the time we can't hide our pain and suffering any longer and our parents bring us to the veterinarian, a lot of irreversible damage has been done.
So the bottom line, if your reading this, you are hopefully getting the message that regular visits to your pet's doctor can help him live the longest and healthiest and happiest life possible. My dad always says "catch it early and manage it easily", or something like that....
So you might not know that SAVES is also where many pets have routine surgeries done. They also come there to have their teeth cleaned. I use to think dogs and cats having their teeth cleaned was like my sister going to have a "mani-pedi", unnecessary and a waste of my parents money. Boy am I wrong (not about my sister).


Before Dental
Dental disease is the number one killer of dogs and cats! Dental disease can lead to heart disease, kidney disease all sorts of really serious diseases! Think about it, what if you didn't brush ever (my little brother can relate completely!). Your breath would stink, your teeth would rot, def. not a babe magnet at that point.
After Dental
Check out the pet site Pets need dental care, too for lots of very interesting facts like did you know 80% of dogs and 70% of cats show signs of oral disease by the age of 3! Bacteria, saliva and food combine to create plaque (the brown crusty stuff on this pups teeth in the first photo) on your teeth. This builds up over time leading to gum irritation (gingivitis) and eventually tooth loss. The inflammation and infection along with bacteria getting into the bloodstream can lead to damage of organs such as the heart, liver and kidneys. Dental disease is really serious stuff!
 So what do you do about this? Brush and brush and brush! At first it is a little strange, I thought it was a game my sister was playing but biting the brush was not part of it. Always use toothpaste formulated for pets, you can pick it up at your veterinarian and many times they have free samples (human toothpaste can be poisonous to us). Use a lot of patience at first, I didn't like her toughing my mouth at all but now it is kind of fun.




And the toothpaste tastes yummy!

Brush, brush, brush and stop by SAVES, February is National Dental Month and all dental procedures are discounted 10%. I know all the babes out there are gonna love my pearly whites!
Tata for now

No comments: